NOIR: A White Paper, Part 1 & 2—
Proposing a New Policy for Improving National Security by Fixing the Problem of Insider Spies
by Dr. David L. Charney, Psychiatrist
David L. Charney, M.D., a psychiatrist, had the unique experience of interviewing former FBI counterintelligence officer Robert Hanssen in jail, weekly, for approximately two hours per visit, for a year. Dr. Charney did the same with two other incarcerated insider spies: Earl Pitts (former FBI Special Agent revealed as a KGB spy), and Brian Regan (former Air Force/NRO).
Dr. Charney’s interest was to better understand the minds of spies for the sake of strengthening our national security. Over the eighteen years of his work with these cases, Dr. Charney developed a greater understanding of insider spy psychology and formulated new approaches and fresh proposals for better managing the problem of insider spies.
Dr. Charney’s first paper, “True Psychology of the Insider Spy,” was published in late 2010 in the AFIO Intelligencer. This paper can also be viewed on the NCIX (National Counterintelligence Executive) website.
As some of you know, most Insider Threat management initiatives have been technology driven. While clever and useful up to a point, they are subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns and can backfire by creating a negative, distrustful workplace atmosphere.
A well-motivated insider can defeat nearly any technology-based system. They will always find a way.
By contrast, Dr. Charney’s NOIR proposals center on the minds of potential or current insider threats: their psychologies, and their inner worlds. The battle must be won there.
NOIR focuses on “classic” state-sponsored espionage. However, many of its points are applicable for dealing with Snowden-type threats.
NOIR for USA is a 501(c)3 entity to educate the US Intelligence Community, other government components, including the Congress, the courts, responsible journalists, and the general public, about the NOIR concepts and proposals.
Dr. Charney and his colleagues at NOIR for USA would appreciate any comments, criticisms, or additional thoughts you may have about NOIR concepts and proposals.
~ ~ ~
- Read: NOIR: A White Paper Part 1 & 2 – Proposing a New Policy for Improving National Security by Fixing the Problem of Insider Spies (pdf) Feel free to distribute it in your organization, provided it is properly credited.
- About the Author: David Charney
- Request a briefing on NOIR and Life Stages of an Insider Spy: Request a Briefing
- Read White Paper Excerpt: Excerpt
- Click to read the: 14 Benefits of NOIR
- Click to read the: 10 Rationales for NOIR
- Click to read the: 7 Factors Driving Reconciliation
- Contents of NOIR White Paper Part 1 & 2: Table of Contents
- Read what intelligence professionals say about the NOIR concept: Feedback
- We are interested in your comments, questions and feedback: Contact Us
- Buy a printed version of the White Paper Part 1 & 2: Purchase
- Read the White Paper Part 1 & 2 on your Kindle: Read